MS Ortho, FRCS (G) FRCS (Trauma and Ortho)
Consultant Orthopaedic and Trauma Surgeon with a special interest in Shoulder and Elbow surgery
Mid Yorkshire Hospitals NHS Trust
Honorary Senior Lecturer, University of Leeds;
Regional Representative British Elbow and Shoulder Society
Secretary of The North East Yorkshire Shoulder Surgeons Club
Education Lead in Orthopaedics at Midyorkshire NHS Trust
Name: Balachandran VENKATESWARAN
GMC Specialist Registration 4589956
British Orthopaedic Association www.boa.ac.uk
British Association of Elbow and Shoulder Surgeons www.bess.org
European Society of Shoulder and Elbow Surgery www.secec.org
Indian Orthopaedic association www.indianorthopaedicsociety.org.uk
- for Leeds Medical School MBBS
- MRCS (part B) Royal College of Surgeons Glasgow https://rcpsg.ac.uk/
- FRCS (Trauma and Orthopaedics) for Joint Committe on InterCollegiate Examination www.jcie.org.uk
F.R.C.S. (Trauma and Orthopaedics),Royal College of Surgeons England, London, Nov. 2002
F.R.C.S. (G) Royal College of Surgeons, Glasgow, Feb. 1998
M.S. Orthopaedics Madras Medical College, India, 1993 to 1996
Artroscopic Subacromial decompression for subacromial shoulder pain (CSAW); A multi-centre pragmatic, parallel group, placebo-controlled three group randomised surgical trial. Vol 391 Issue 10118 Lancet 2018 (I was only part of CSAW study group) CSAW full text
Arthroscopic Plication for Multidirectional instability; 50 patients with a minimum 2 year follow up. Journal of shoulder and elbow surgery 2016 oct 7 Pubmed
A Multispeciality surgical course for residents transitioning from early to intermediate training. International Journal of Medical education 2016
The outcome of Chronic Pectoralis Major ruptures in weight lifters. accepted Jun 2016 Acta Orthopaedica Belgica.
The use of shoulder scoring systems and outcome measures in the UK. Ann R Coll Surg Eng 2014 Nov; 96(8)
Fewer Anchors achieves successful arthroscopic shoulder stabilisation. Journal of Shoulder and Elbow Surgery 2014 Mar; 23(3)
Caroline Witney-Lagen, Swathy Kothapalli, Richard Robinson and Balachandran Venkateswaran. Shoulder & Elbow. Article first published online: 25 APR 2013 | DOI: 10.1111/sae.12019
Treatment of Proximal Humerus Fractures with Stryker T2 Proximal Humeral Nail: A study of 61 cases. Caroline Witney-Lagen, S Datir, V Kumar, B Venkateswaran Shoulder & Elbow Jan 2013 vol 5 Issue 1: 48 - 55
Titanium Elastic Stable Intramedullary nailing of Displaced Midshaft Clavicular Fractures: A review of 38 Cases. International Journal of Shoulder Surgery - Jul-Sep 2012 / Vol 6 / Issue 3 12
An Anatomical Way of Treating Ankle Syndesmotic Injuries Faisal Qamar, Anish Kadakia, Balachandran VenkateswaranThe Journal of Foot and Ankle Surgery, Volume 50, Issue 6, November–December 2011, Pages 762-765
Intramedullary nailing for displaced proximal humeral fractures. Kumar V, Datir S, Venkateswaran B.
J orthop surgery (Hong Kong). 2010 Dec;18(3):324-7.
Healing of Greater tuberosity in acute Shoulder hemiarthroplasty using an Accelerated Rehabilitation regime : Shoulder and Elbow Vol 2 (2) April 2010; 131-5.
Atraumatic osteonecrosis of the Humeral head associated with pregnancy. Shouder & Elbow July 2010 vol 2 Issue 3 188 - 190
Fixation of Displaced Proximal Humerus fracture with an Intramedullary Proximal humerus Locking Nail. Invited Article. Journal of orthopaedic Surgery and Reasearch 2010
Mid term Clinical and Sonographic outcome in arthroscopic repair of the Rotator Cuff. Journal of Bone and Joint Surg Br 2008 October; 90(10);1341-7
Arthroscopic capsular release for posttraumatic shoulder stiffness.J Shoulder Elbow Surg. 2008 May-Jun;17(3):410-4..
In vivo rotator cuff blood flow measurment using laser doppler flowmetry
Journal of Bone Joint Surg Br. 2008 Jul;90(7):893-8
Peripheral paresthesia in patients with subacromial impingement syndrome.
Arch Orthop Trauma Surg. 2007 Sep;127(7):609-12. Epub 2007 Jul 25.
Age – related outcome in carpal Tunnel Surgery.
Authors: Porter P, Venkateswaran B, Wray CC.
Journal: Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery (B) July 2002. 84B; 5: 688-91
Early Experience with the PlantTan Fixator plate for 2 and 3 part fractures of the proximal humerus
Authors: Burton DJC, Wells G, Watters A, Schilders E, Venkateswaran B
Journal: Injury (36) 2005: 1190 -1196
Extension of the Working Length of an Intramedullary Nail.
Authors: Venkateswaran B, Smith R M
Journal: Injury (32) 2001: November: 719-24
An easy Preoperative method to determine Tibial Intramedullary nail Length
Authors: Venkateswaran B Warner RM Tulwa N Shaw D L Deacon P
Journal: Injury (34) 2003: 752 – 755 and
European journal of Trauma 2002; Supplement 1.Abstract. Vol. 28 (232): 90
Delayed presentation of tuberculosis of the Talo-navicular joint: a case report.
Authors: Foster P.A.L, Bismil.Q, Venkateswaran B, Shanker J
Journal: Foot and Ankle Surgery (9) 2003: 237-9
Irreducible Postero-lateral Dislocation of the Knee Joint with Fracture of the Lateral Condyle of the Femur – A Rare Case Presentation
Authors: Sridar, Venkateswaran, Professor K Sriram
Journal: Annual Journal of the TamilNadu Orthopaedic Association: 35-38, 1996.
Vascular Injuries complicating Fractures.
Authors: Venkateswaran, Jeganathan, Professor K Sriram
Journal: Annual Journal of the TamilNadu Orthopaedic Association: 40-42, 1996
Arthroscopic Capsular Release for post-traumatic Shoulder Stiffness
Authors: Venkateswaran B, Funk L, Levy O, Copeland S
Study of 21 patients at 3-5 years follow up.
Journal: “Proceedings of the International Congress on Shoulder Surgery 2004” by the AAOS
The implications of sagittal malpositioning of the stem in cemented Charnley total hip replacements
Authors: Venkateswaran B Porter P Rawes M L Deacon P Stone M, Macdonald D A
Proceedings of the EFORT congress, Helsinki, Finland 2003
A.O. Dynamic Condyle Screw in Proximal and Distal Femoral Fractures.
Authors: Venkateswaran B, Mayilvahanan N
This dissertation was accepted as part of the requirements for the award of degree of M.S. Orthopaedics, India, March 1996. A prospective study over 3 years of 14 distal femoral fractures and 18 proximal femoral fractures treated with the DCS.
Surgical Management of Proximal Humeral Fractures
Chapter in Current orthopaedics May 2008
Management of infections after Shoulder arthroplasty.
Venkateswaran B, Levy O
Chapter in The Brazilian Orthopaedic Association’s Publication on Shoulder Arthroplasty 2004
Surgical Approaches for instability Surgery of the shoulder
Venkateswaran B, Levy O, Copeland S
Chapter in ‘Current Orthopaedics’ on Instability of the Shoulder, 2004.
Resurfacing arthroplasty of the Shoulder
Venkateswaran B, Copeland S
As a Chapter for the book on “Shoulder Replacement in Osteoarthritis” from Centro Chirurgia, by Porcellini, Campi and Paladini, Bologna Publishing House,
- A Comparison of Hemiarthroplasty with Reverse Shoulder Arthroplasty for Proximal Humeral Fractures BESS 2017
- Subacromial spacer VS Partial Rotator cuff Repair: A single surgeon cohort study BESS 2016
- An investigation to determine the association between grip strength and shoulder dysfunction in the male pathological shoulder BESS 2016 Dublin
- Arthroscopic Plication for Multidirectional Instability; a review of 50 patients with a 2- 5 year folllow up BESS 2015
- Learning curve on an arthroscopic shoulder simulator BESS 2015
- Improving Trainees' confidence with a novel multi disciplinary simulated surgical course ASPIH conference 2014 Nov Nottingham
- Biceps tendon repairs at the elbow BESS 2014
- Revision arthroscopic shoulder surgery for Rotator Cuff disorders: Analysis of causes and results - British Elbow and Shoulder Society (BESS) meeting 2013 BESS meeting 2013. www.bess.org.uk
- The use of scoring systems and outcome measures following shoulder surgery in England - British Elbow and Shoulder Society (BESS) meeting 2013
- Correlation between Oxford Shoulder score and Euroqol Quality of life score - British chapter of the Indian Orthopaedic Society meeting June 2013
- Results of resurfacing arthroplasty of the shoulder: Review of 39 cases - British Chapter of IOS meeting June 2013
- Treatment of Proximal Humeral Fractures with Stryker T2 Proximal Humeral Nail - a study of 61 Cases _ British Shoulder and Elbow meeting - BESS 2011
- Good Surgical technique more important than number of Anchors _ Results of Arthroscopic Shoulder Stabilisation- British Shoulder and Elbow Meeting - BESS 2011
- The results of Arthroscopic Stabilisation of unstable shoulders BESS 2010 Oxford
- The reliability of Office Ultrasound in diagnosis of Rotator Cuff pathology BESS 2009 London
- Accelerated Rehabilitation in healing of tuberosities after hemiarthroplasty for shoulder fractures BESS 2009 London
- In vivo rotator cuff blood flow measurment using laser doppler flowmetry BESS 2008 Liverpool
- Correlation between Constant Score and Euroqol scores in patient with impingement BESS 2007
- Pitfalls in arthroscopic treatment of Acromioclavicular joint dislocations with the tightrope BESS 2007
- Clavicular fracture fixation with intramedullary nail BESS 2007
- EQ5D – Correlation of Quality of life score with Constant score SECEC European meet Athens 2006
- Arthroscopic Rotator Cuff Repair– Mid - long term Results (2 - 6 YEARS FU) – reretear rate and comparison with clinical outcome International Conference on Shoulder Surgery 2007 Brazil
- Proximal Humeral fractures treated with nail SECEC European meet Athens 2006. www.secec.org
- Comparison of arthroscopic decompression alone with cuff repair in small tears SECEC European meet Athens 2006, BESS 2006 Edinburgh
- Arthroscopic Tightrope fixation of ACJ dislocatrions BTS 2006 , BESS 2007
- DHS and gamma nail In intertrochanteric Fractures BTS 2006 Leeds
- Remanipulation rates After Reduction of Distal Radius Fractures Under Haematoma Block in the Emergency Department. BTS 2005 London
- Assessment of the prevalence of neurological symptoms in impingement syndrome of the shoulder A0A 2005 Perth Australia, AAOS 2006 Seattle USA www.aaos.org
- Results of Arthroscopic Rotator Cuff Repairs at an average of 2 years follow up BESS July 2005
- Assessment of Blood flow in the Rotator cuff by Laser Doppler Flowmetry BESS 2004 , SECEC Rome 2005
- Arthroscopic Capsular Release for post-traumatic Shoulder Stiffness Study of 20 patients at 3-5 years follow up. International congress on Surgery of the Shoulder, Washington, 2004
- Arthroscopic Bankart repair in recurrent shoulder instability: A comparison of different techniques at an average of 3 years follow up. International Congress on Surgery of the Shoulder, Washington, 2004
- Variables affecting Constant score. International Congress on Surgery of the Shoulder, Washington, 2004
- Validation of a new Simple Quantitative Test for Assessment of Subscapularis Strength. International Congress on Surgery of the Shoulder, Washington, 2004
- Remanipulation rates After Reduction of Distal Radius Fractures Under Haematoma Block in the Emergency Department. Accepted for a podium presentation at the BTS meeting 2004 www.bts-org.co.uk
- Comparisons of Quality of life outcomes following hemiarthroplasty: Is there a difference between cemented Thompson’s and uncemented Austin Moore replacements.. British Trauma Society Meeting, London, October 2003 www.bts-org.co.uk
- The implications of sagittal malpositioning of the stem in cemented Charnley total hip replacements. EFORT congress, Helsinki, Finland 2003
- An easy Preoperative method to determine Tibial Intramedullary nail Length. Combined Meeting in Sydney 2004, The European Trauma Congress at Vienna May 2002, The British Trauma Society meeting October 2001. The Holdsworth meeting, Wakefield Nov 2, 2002 www.bts-org.co.uk
- Distal femoral Fractures in the Elderly : One year follow up of Noiles hinged knee replacements in comparison with other modalities of treatment. British Trauma Society Meeting 2002. www.bts-org.co.uk
- Age and Outcome in Carpal Tunnel decompression surgery. British Orthopaedic Association’s Annual Congress 2001 www.boa.ac.uk
- Acute Compartment Syndrome – Early and Late presentation. Regional conference of the Tamil Nadu Orthopaedic Association, Madras, India, February 1996
- A.O. Dynamic Condylar Screw in Proximal and Distal Femoral Fractures. The South Zone Orthopaedic conference of the Indian Orthopaedic Association, Madras, 1995.
- Surgical management of a Difficult Supra-Articular Pilon Fracture. Conference of the Asian Association for Dynamic Osteosynthesis, Hong Kong, September 1994.
- Good Surgical technique more important than number of Anchors _ Results of Arthroscopic Shoulder Stabilisation, presented at The Yorkhire Regional Trainee meeting By Ms C Witney-Lagen, Mr venkateswaran> won the best prize for a research paper 2012
- An easy Preoperative method to determine Tibial Intramedullary nail Length
Authors: Venkateswaran B Karthikeyan K Warner RM Tulwa N Shaw D L Deacon P
This paper presented by my co-author won the Fitton prize and £600 for the best paper for the year at the Yorkshire Regional Trainee meeting at Leeds 2002 – 2003
- The implications of sagittal malpositioning of the stem in cemented Charnley total hip replacements
Authors: Venkateswaran B Porter P Rawes M L Deacon P Stone M, Macdonald D A
Presented and won the Second Prize for the best paper and £300 at the Yorkshire Regional Trainee meeting for the Fitton Prize Dec 2002.
- Age and Outcome in Carpal Tunnel decompression surgery
Authors: Venkateswaran B, Porter P, Wray CC
I won the Fitton prize and £600 for the best paper by a trainee for the year 2000 -2001
- Acute Compartment Syndrome – Early and Late presentation.
Authors: Venkateswaran, Prof K Sriram
Conference of the Tamil Nadu Orthopaedic Association, India, February 1996
Awarded Best Paper and won The Professor M Natarajan’s Gold Medal.
Present Job Committment
Clinical commitments as a Consultant in the NHS and private are as under:
- 4 clinics and 5 operating theatre sessions with a 1:12 week on call Rota. +additional work when needed. The team i work with and my secretary are very competent and complement and help deliver high quality care.
- On calls are busy and I provide specialist upper limb trauma service
- Taken a Clinical lead for upper limb and developed the upper limb pathway for primary care , and represented upper limb service discussions.
- Introduced combined upper limb meet within trust and Yorkshire regional meetings and founded the club as above.
- As Clinical Governance lead (till 2011)have revamped the governance and audit meetings and improved reflective practice in the department as a whole.
- Collect outcome data on all patients pre and post operatively enabling us to give good quality care and above led to prospective studies and presentations.
- Set up the one stop clinic with ultrasound for diagnosis at same sitting –has reduced the patients’ journey time from 8-12 weeks to 1 day. Have reduced the demand on radiology.
- Written patient information leaflets (on Trust’s intranet now).
- Trained 5 in total and 2 extended scope practitioners who work alongside in clinics improving access.
- Deliver high quality day case surgery and have changed Shoulder stabilisations and some rotator cuff repairs to day case surgery.
- All the above improved the journey for the patient and is a readily accessible service.
- Audit of the service - patient satisfaction survey by independent observer showed 97% satisfaction rate except for clinic waiting times.
Recruitment and Teaching resposibilities
- Participate in recruitment of trainees in the region
- Sat in multiple interviews for trust locums, middle grade and Consultant appointments.
- As Honorary Senior Lecturer, Academic unit of Orthopaedics, University of Leeds organize and teach the attached medical students.
- Examiner at Leeds Medical University for medical students.
- received personal commendation from Leeds Medical University for leading teaching delivered by our Orthopaedic department at MidYorkshire hospitals
- As Clinical Tutor in Orthopaedics (till 2016) MidYorkshire Trust organize teaching and responsible for the training needs of all trainees.
- Organise Tuesday AM teaching - includes workshops, radiology sessions, clinical patient sessions and didactic lectures and presentations. Circulate teaching programme every month.
- Act as educational supervisors to Foundation/Specialist trainees over the whole year.
- Examiner For the MRCS exam Royal College of Surgeons at Glasgow
Multidisciplinary training :
- Have trained 4 Extended scope practitioners, theatre and ward nurses/ Advanced Nurse Practitioners to deal with the workload in shoulder surgery increased since 2005
Higher surgical training
- Examiner for FRCS Trauma and Orthopaedics
- Examiner at the Yorkshire regional orthopedic Trainee Mock examinations.
- Have helped with RITA (asessments of higher surgical trainees) and been in the Higher Specialist training committe till 2011
Faculty – Surgical Training
- Invited faculty of "Shoulder Arthroplasty : Cadaveric Anatomy Workshop" June 2018 at Basel, Switzerland organised by Mathys European Orthopaedics.
- Organise Yorkshire Shoulder Course at Dewsbury- Clinical course giving a thorough overview of the shoulder clinical examination with regional/national faculty.
- Organise and deliver Basic Orthopaedic Surgical skills course with help of MidYorkshire NHS trust Post Graduate department since 2013
- Faculty and help organise the Dewsbury Anatomy Course
- Faculty in the AO UK Education (national and international). Chairman faculty of the AO principles International course in Coimbatore 2009.
- Faculty in the Basic Surgical Skills Course, RCS England